Are Your Investments Really Diversified?

Recently overheard a 401k participant mention their account was fully diversified since they are
invested in the S&P 500 Index and don’t feel they need other investments. While the S&P 500 accounts
for 70%-80% of the market value of the U.S. equities market, did you know the top 10 biggest stocks
make up 29.5% of the index’s market value as of March 31, 2022. Therefore, 10 stocks represent
approximately 30% of the index value and 490 stock represent the remaining 70% of the index value.

The S&P 500 index top 10 stocks include:

1. Apple Inc. (AAPL)

2. Microsoft Corp (MSFT)

3., Inc (AMZN)

4. Alphabet Inc. Class A (GOOGL)

5. Alphabet Inc. Class C (GOOG)

6. Tesla, Inc (TSLA)

7. Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (BRK.B)

8. Johnson & Johnson (JNJ)

9. UnitedHealth Group (UNH)

10. NVIDIA Corporation (NVDA)


This information is for general and educational purposes and not intended as legal, tax, accounting, securities, or investment advice, nor an opinion regarding the appropriateness of any investment, nor a solicitation of any type. Information obtained from third-party sources are believed to be reliable but not guaranteed. Investors cannot invest directly in indexes.  The performance of any index is not indicative of the performance of any investment and does not take into account the effects of inflation and the fees and expenses associated with investing. #4823893.2


Securities and Investment Advisory Services Offered Through M Holdings Securities, Inc., a Registered Broker/Dealer and Investment Advisor. Member FINRA/SIPC. Rose Street Advisors is independently owned and operated.  

Scott Higgins

Scott Higgins


Since 2012 at Rose Street, Scott has been responsible for helping the firm’s individual wealth management clients with income strategies for retirement and consulting with employers with their employee retirement plans. In free time, he enjoys golf, biking, skiing, cooking, and traveling. Fun fact, Scott has a hobby of filling growlers with coins!

Interested in more?

Proactive HR